Saturday, April 13, 2013

Argument and Counter- Argument

I think I'm going to go with the sociological argument for my paper. The source you found for me really has some great information that I think will really make my argument strong. I still need to find more sources but the bibliography for the source has many good sources. My argument is going to be why are parents paying for college at all? most students who go to college begin at the age of 18. This is the age when people become legal so why do colleges assume that parents are going to help their children pay for college? When applying for college and loans, many questions are asked about your parents income. This is an assumption that parents are going to help their children with college tuition. But even if the 18 year old is claimed as an independent to try to get more financial aid for school, parents information and income is still needed. This is very interesting and I want to find out more about why this is part of the process of applying to college. Why is it that it is assumed that our parents are going to help us pay for college even though we are the legal age when we apply to college? I think it's because it's so expensive now a days that colleges know that most 18 year olds can't handle it on their own. But is that right? Technically 18 year olds should be taking care of college payments by themselves since they are legal. Other sources say that parents shouldn't pay for college and that students should take out loans or go to community college. I have yet to find a source that is truly against students paying or at least helping with some of their college tuition. I think it's because today's society is unable to help their children pay for college. So then why is it that when applying to college, the students are asked so many questions about their parents income? My argument is that colleges shouldn't ask for parent information when students apply to college because it seems like they are assuming that parents are paying for college and why is that when most college students are legal adults?

No comments:

Post a Comment